I thought I’d lead with an image of this full of flavor meal that I urge you to cook…like today! This is a Skinnytaste recipe. Skinnytaste is a great food blog to follow if you are looking for the gammet of low calorie/carb/ fat versions of meals you may otherwise feel guilty about. I am not the biggest buffalo chicken person in terms of craving wings on the regular. I have really enjoyed the flavor recently though and Bryan loves buffalo anything pretty much. The low carb low fat upside to this recipe is only added to with the easiness of prep factor characteristic of crock pot recipes!
For the chicken:
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank’s)
For the wraps:
- 6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg (I went with Bibb)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (Don’t allow your boyfriend to come home with baby carrots. What an adventure grating those!)
- 2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks or chopped
1) In crock pot, add chicken breasts, chicken broth, stalk of celery, onions, and garlic. Make sure the liquid covers the chicken. Add additional water if it does not.
2) Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. If you opt for the latter, be sure you don’t stretch it any longer than that as it can get mushy. (Thanks to my lovely friend Adrienne for that tip!)
3) Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place in medium bowl, reserve 1/2 cup of the broth and toss the rest including the celery stalk.
4) Using a couple of forks, shred the chicken and return to the crock pot along with the 1/2 cup of reserved broth. Add the 1/2 cup of hot sauce (or more! I did around 3/4 cup myself.)
5) Cook on high for 30 additional minutes
6) Arrange your lettuce leaves and add a 1/2 cup of the chicken per leaf as well as 1/4 cup of carrots, celery, and dressing if you so choose (a light bleu cheese or ranch perhaps?)
Easy peasy and tasty!