I get some serious anti-oxidants in on the reg with my mass consumption of berries, but I am always looking for ways to eat more veggies and LIKE them as you know. I have been doing great with veggie intake across the day as of late. I have ensured that my lunch/snacks for work include one if not a few veggie options such as salad, baby carrots, pepper strips, or sugar snap peas. I have even made a smoothie for breakfast with spinach in it. I don’t want to get bored though so it’s a must that I expand the veggie repertoire. I have been wanting to see what this kale chip rage is all about so thought I’d give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised and will be making them again in the future. I have heard of others dressing up their kale chips with garlic and onion powder and even soy sauce. I chose Parmesan this time, but I plan to try other flavors down the road.
- 1 bag of fresh Kale (10-12 oz.)
- A few tsp of olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese (I used grated because it’s what I had, but shredded would be better I imagine)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
- Wash and dry kale (For a snack I only used a little over half of the bag) and tear into bite-sized pieces discarding the stem portions.
- Arrange the bite-sized pieces on the cookie sheet and spray with additional olive oil until covered or drizzle olive oil evenly if you elected the liquid OO.
- Bake for 10 minutes occasionally (and carefully- that oven is hot hot hot!) moving around the kale to ensure it crisps evenly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle your parm evenly atop the kale chips. Bake for 4-5 minutes more. Keep an eye on them though as you want crispy kale not burnt offering kale!
- Enjoy this low-cal/carb/ fat snack that is rich in anti-oxidants. Go you!