DISCLAIMER: There was no sneezing and thus no meatball loss here. I know you were worried!
Spaghetti or some other form of pasta and sauce is a meal pretty much everyone loves. The trouble is that pasta often loves you back in the form of pudgey tummy or love handles if you eat too much of it. Sigh- carbs! I eat whole wheat pasta if I’m cooking it myself or request it out if it’s possible. Usually the latter is not feasible since I like gnocchi or lasagna when I grab Italian at a restaurant. I also have a tendency to forget to ask! A great way to curve those carbs AND add veggies to a meal is to prepare spaghetti squash and top with your favorite tomato or meat sauce. The flesh of this high in nutritional value squash type when cooked resembles spaghetti. The texture is not too off either. 1 cup of it comes in around 40 calories, 10 g of carbohydrates, and boasts low fat and sugar content. What’s not to love? I’ll just give you another reason to get excited while I’m at it. You know that big pot and strainer you need when cooking pasta? You won’t be needing that here because you can simply leverage the microwave to cook the squash. Let’s walk through the how-to’s for whipping up this healthy meal. I can make my own pasta sauce, but I like the option of buying a jarred sauce and doctoring it up for the sake of time now and again. That is what I did here.
- Medium-sized spaghetti squash from your local grocer’s produce section (see above)
- Jar of your favorite tomato sauce. I recommend trying Francesco’s Rinaldo’s ToBe Healthy sauce line!
- 1/2-3/4 lb ground turkey (if you want to add to sauce to doctor it up)
- Optional: Additional “doctor it up” spices and herbs: red pepper flakes, minced garlic, italian seasoning to taste
- On large cutting board, use a large serrated knife to cut your spaghetti squash length-wise like so. Be cautious!
- Subsequently, use a spoon to scrap out all of the seeds and “guts” similar to how you prepare a pumpkin for carving.
- Microwave both halves on high for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown your ground turkey on a medium-high heat until cooked throughly. Add pasta sauce and additional seasons and bring to a light boil. Simmer a while until you are loving the flavor of the sauce.
- Let the spaghetti squash sit in the microwave for several minutes. Carefully remove the halves with a potholder.
- Take a fork and shred the squash halves which is easy if it is throughly cooked. If not, pop back in your mic for a few minutes.
- Serve your sauce atop the spaghetti squash and enjoy! This makes great left overs as well.